Bl Pier Giorgio Frassati-- a personal testimony.


Hello everyone! 

So, you all have probably guessed by now that Bl Pier Giorgio is a favourite of mine, considering how many of his quotes I've dropped in posts. Well, I thought that maybe a good place to introduce you all a bit more to him is to tell you how I came to know him. 

On Goodreads once a book was recommended to me called To The Heights by Brian Kennelly. I clicked on it. On the cover was a young man on top of a mountain. I read the summary and was intrigued. 


Enter the heart of a passionate young man, who in his brief life reached the heights of adventure, friendship—and sanctity.

 

Born to a wealthy family in Turin at the dawn of the 20th century, Pier Giorgio Frassati was good-looking, popular and athletic. He spent much of his youth climbing the rugged Italian Alps, disappearing into the clouds for days at a time. He was quick with a joke or a prank and enjoyed a good time. It seemed he was blessed with everything a young man could ask for. But he hungered for more.

 

Despite coming from a family of such prestige, Pier Giorgio spent most days in the slums of Turin, visiting the poor and serving the sick. His love for Christ burned within him and brushed off on everyone he came into contact with – from lepers and orphans to college friends and political diplomats. He shared his Faith with kindness and charity, and defended it passionately against the evils of Fascism, even coming to blows with Mussolini’s thugs on numerous occasions.

 

Pier Giorgio touched the lives of thousands, yet his high-society parents remained unmoved by the life he led as they frowned upon his religious practices and charitable work. Reaching them would be his last challenge, his final mountain to climb.

 

To the Heights is an unforgettable novel about Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati. Dig deeper than the biographical facts and discover the heart of a charismatic young man whose soul blazes brightly and uniquely among the host of heaven.

 I'll admit, I was interested. I hadn't heard of Bl Pier Giorgio before and it sounded fascinating. But, in not too long, I pushed it from my mind and mostly forgot about it. Until I came across it again, and almost exactly a year ago, I bought it on an impulse. One of the best impulses of my life. 

I read the book and loved it. Bl Pier Giorgio was in my top ten favourite saints (blesseds?). But, I had only just discovered him. A few months later I discovered Frassatiusa and I read their articles and listened to linked podcasts. I began to get more and more interested in this young Italian saint. He inspired me to do more, be more. If I really didn't want to do something, sometimes the thought of what he would do would get me to do it. He helped me overcome my fear of what people will think to some extent, though I am still working on it. I know a lot about him and I know there is so much more to discover. But, best of all, he is a friend to talk to. 

In his life, Pier Giorgio was an amazing friend. He started a group with his friends called the Tipi Loschi, and he was the center of it. He always encouraged his friends to be more, and always tried to bring them to Mass and say the rosary. 

Well, all I can say is, he has been an amazing friend to me too. There are a few things related to spiritual struggles that I can't really tell anyone. My friends, great as they are, wouldn't understand, though they would try. There's few things worse than baring your heart to someone, only to have them offer soothing words that clearly show they have no idea what you're going through. And that's not their fault. We all have our own struggles. 

Anyway, the things I can't tell anyone else, I tell to Pier Giorgio, and he always helps. I know he will pray for me, like he prayed for all his friends, and bring me before God. 

His life is so overwhelmingly beautiful, and I couldn't tell it to you well here, other people have said it so much better. He makes me laugh and cry and pray. I strongly advice you to research his life yourself, you will not be disappointed!

Pier Giorgio, you inspire me so much. You point me to God and make me want to be more. Thank you so much for everything. Pray for me!

Dear Jesus, I love You. Thank you, thank you, for saints like Bl Pier Giorgio Frassati. 

Bl Pier Giorgio, pray for us! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Catholic saint authors

Forms of prayer

Taking a 'How Catholic are you actually" quiz...