The power of a prayer group-- a personal testimony

On the evening of May16, 2020, I received a text from a friend asking me if I wanted to join a prayer group. I said yes, and I am definitely glad I made that decision.

She created the group with me and a few other friends the following day. It was hard to manage things at first-- we had to find a time that worked for everyone, what prayers we said at the end of the Chaplet or Rosary, and what some of our "customs" were-- but eventually we came through. 

I always looked forward to the sessions every day except for Sunday. We video chatted and prayed a rosary or chaplet (it depended on the circumstances of each day) and we concluded with our closing prayers, a litany of our patron saints, and our motto:

"Pray, hope, and don't worry."

~St. Padre Pio

We were able to continue the group for more than two years, and it helped me in so many ways. It gave me a chance to get to know my fellow members better, and a community I could turn to if I needed support.We were able to share prayers, quotes, stories, intentions, and many other things that helped me learn more about my faith. And of course, an occasional laugh never hurt anyone! I enjoyed sharing things with my fellow members and learning things from them too. It was always interesting to hear what they had to say!

I was also able to pray a lot more. Before, I had been saying five or six basic prayers a day (I've kind of gone back to doing that again now), but during prayer group, I was able to spend 10-20 minutes in prayer. I don't know if I recognized it, but I'm sure that made a big improvement in my life. It always is that way with prayer.

Sadly, we have not been able to have session for months now, and I'm not sure if we'll ever be able to resume it again, but it's legacy will live on forever in my heart. A prayer group is a great tool to help yourself and others grow closer to God. Maybe it could help you as well.

Comments

  1. I've always wanted to be in a prayer group.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Catholic saint authors

Forms of prayer

Taking a 'How Catholic are you actually" quiz...