Go and Fear Nothing: A Reflection on Our Lady of Good Help

J.M.J.

"Go and Fear Nothing, I Will Help You". 

These are the words I read every morning as I look at a beautiful picture of Our Lady hanging above my dresser. Last May, I had the wonderful opportunity to complete my first pilgrimage to the National Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help in Champion, Wisconsin- the only approved Marian Apparition in the United States. 

21 miles. Early morning wake up. Rain. No training. These four things rang in my mind at 5 am on the morning of the pilgrimage. Little did I know how much this pilgrimage would change my life, and increase my trust very deeply. Up to this point, I was on a roller coaster in discerning various things in my life. I had graduated with my AS degree, but I was in total confusion regarding transferring colleges. All of my friends were in a four year college, and here I was, juggling three daycare jobs and caring for over 30 children every day. The thought that "these jobs are putting me behind" was constantly in my mind. I knew Our Lady was there helping me as her spiritual daughter and helping me be a loving mother to all of "my" children, but I was afraid. 

7 am had quickly arrived. A priest was standing in front of the National Shrine of St. Joseph, leading us in prayer. The rain was coming down, yet I was surrounded by over 5,000 other pilgrims. This simple sight brought tears to my eyes. So many people literally from around the world were coming to honor Our Lady, on Her Saturday, because She truly brings much consolation to all. By mile 10, the pain had set in. How I wanted to be done; lunch was still 4 miles away and my legs were already so stiff. How could I make it another 11 miles? I began to unite myself with Our Lord and Our Lady's sufferings. They suffered so much more than I will ever experience; I knew I could offer up this pain for a few miles. The 15th mile was soon in sight and we began singing the Rosary in Latin. Every single pain in my body vanished because of this beautiful prayer, my favorite prayer in my favorite language. Our Lady was showing me Her true love! Finally, I could see the finish...my brothers and I ran up the last hill, despite our pain. We arrived tired, exhausted, and barely able to walk another step. Yet, Our Lady's Shrine brought so much peace, praying in the spot where She appeared to Adele. 

After spending a huge amount of time at the Shrine, I had this immediate relief. It was this overwhelming amount of peace that Our Lady will guide me to whatever and wherever the Lord has planned for me. Now, eight months later, I realize why God employed me at three daycares: those children all became my spiritual children, many from broken families who needed my motherly love. My heart longed for more and more; I opened my heart and the Lord led me to a Marian religious order. If anyone would have told me that I'd be entering a religious order at 21 years old, I would have laughed. Now that I have completed my candidacy, I realize that God works in infinitely creative ways. Our Lady is working with Him to you, dear friends! Once again, "Go and Fear Nothing"!

Comments

  1. What a beautiful post! Congratulations! I wish and pray for your every happiness in your calling♥️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Catholic saint authors

Forms of prayer

Taking a 'How Catholic are you actually" quiz...